Sunday, December 21, 2008

Zoo Adventure - Wildlights 2008


In the spirit of starting a new tradition for Kate and I, we went to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium this evening. It was extremely cold; single digits and windy. We were surprised to see the active cougars and wolves. They were playing and enjoying the cold weather.

The lights were beautiful but I didn’t take as many pictures of them because I was just too cold to stop long enough. We kept our heads buried as we hurried off to the nearest building to get warm again. I took a lot of pictures, with my new digital camera, in the reptile house. The reptile house ended badly because a hurt turtle was being attacked by other turtles. Needless to say that we did alert zookeepers and I will not be posting that video that I inadvertently recorded. It was a bit upsetting to Kate and a few other children.

In the Manatee exhibit, Kate demonstrated her steel trap mind and informed me how creatures living underwater were really drinking their own urine. There were a few giggles around me. The nearest Manatee kindly demonstrated Kate’s point not but a few seconds later, which again Kate pointed out.

Kate wanted to try ice skating, but only got two feet on the ice before saying she changed her mind. She rode the Carousel and told Santa of all the American Girl gifts she wanted. Kate noticed that Mrs. Claus was fake because she was wearing a wig, but “you could tell that Santa wasn’t fake.” As we concluded our new traditional adventure, Kate and I agreed that next year we would go in November when it would be warmer.

Pictures: Zoo Adventures 1 and Zoo Adventures 2


2 comments:

Kelly Syferd said...

Boy, you were brave to go out in that cold! We are hoping to make it to the zoo lights on Friday.

Jim McKay said...

Kids say the darnest things. Sounds like it was a good time. I hope we make it out there next year.