Monday, January 19, 2009

Simple Ways You Can Start Enjoying Today | On Simplicity

Today, my 7-year old asked if I was anxious to grow up when I was her age. She said she will like being an adult to do as she pleases: come & go, make decisions, etc. No, she wasn't upset about anything in particular; just a casual conversation. How ironic that later as I decompress from being an adult, late in the evening, I run across: Simple Ways You Can Start Enjoying Today On Simplicity: "Remember how badly you wanted to be an adult so that you could live life by your own rules? Enjoy the fact that, for the most part, you get to make your own decisions today."

Is adulthood really that different than childhood? Instead of school, it's work. If I do not go to work, it's a lack of a paycheck instead of truancy. Oh, I don't get an allowance for my household chores anymore. I suppose that if I were a child at this moment I would be asleep for school, instead of choosing to stay up late, blogging this, while laughing at a stupid joke on David Letterman. Adults have choices and make choices for children in the hope of developing their good habits. Time for me to do my parents proud and go to sleep for work.

2 comments:

Netter said...

Thanks for the reminder to help keep things in perspective. Sometimes I think I'd like to be a kid again and not have to make so many decisions - insurance, mortgages, etc., but like you said, its a trade-off. Gotta take the good with the bad and hope for more of the good!

prashant said...

Sometimes I think I'd like to be a kid again and not have to make so many decisions -

Work From Home india